Just the other day while I was skyping with one of my best friends from back home – when one is an immigrant, that is how one keeps friendships – we started sharing misery stories about our menstrual cycles. And I suddenly remembered this little gem I came up with months ago and forgot in my drafts! So, in honour of my dearest Juls, here’s this recipe to relieve menstrual pain.
I have also recently initiated myself in the world of essential oils and I’m in the experimenting phase, adding them to my routines and reaping the benefits even when cooking. So for those of you who also use Young Living essential oils (I do not recommend using a different brand, this is the only one I know that is safe for ingestion) you’ll find a version below which includes them.
As you know, a while ago I shared a recipe that was directed to my menstruating audience to help combat the problems that plague us all during that time of the month. I have continued my personal research in this direction and I’m very happy to bring you another recipe which can become very useful even before we are menstruating. Roughly about a week before you expect your period you can begin taking this tea on a daily basis to help reduce all of those uncomfortable symptoms. Here’s exactly how it works.
This tea has only natural ingredients: ginger, cinnamon, lemon, orange and chamomile. Thanks to ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties we can reduce pain, nausea and migraines. It will also increase your energy due to its levels of potassium and magnesium, which helps combat menstrual cramps as well. Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory and rich in calcium, which helps improve blood circulation, reducing blood clots and cramps significantly. It can also prevent nausea and has high contents of potassium and magnesium. Lemon is anti-inflammatory, it increases iron absorption and is also rich in potassium. Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic, and it helps reduce stress. Orange improves blood circulation and is rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium.
- fresh ginger, 1cm peeled root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp chamomile
- 200ml water
- Boil the water and add ginger, cinnamon and chamomile. Allow to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Add the juices.
- Sweeten with some honey, stevia or agave. Ideally it’s better to stay away from processed sugar for the benefit of our bodies during this time.
- Drink one cup of this tea per day and watch your menstrual troubles wash away!
- Any of these ingredients on its own will help you, although combined they are stronger. However feel free to modify the recipe to your preference!
- Young Living essential oils version: one drop of lemon/orange essential oil will subtitute the corresponding juices. Add the oils to a spoon of honey and mix in with your tea as in step 3 (because the last thing you want is to boil your precious oils!). I do not recommend using a different brand, this is the only one I know that is safe for ingestion. And if I’ve piqued your interest for these essential oils, you’ll find more information here.