The cold weather and the heating makes our skin very dehydrated around this time of year, doesn’t it? This lavish butter will work great on dry skin, it feels airy and light but it leaves your skin feeling instantly smooth and nourished. And the best part of it is, is that it includes only natural ingredients!
Shea butter is not only one of the most moisturizing ingredients (which is why it’s so widely known and used for cosmetic products) but also has antiinflammatory properties and encourages skin’s natural collagen production, which is why it can help regenerate the skin and reduce wrinkles. Coconut oil is not only very healthy to cook with, but when applied topically it improves skin moisture level, can help reduce eczema and protects against hair damage. Almond oil is also antiinflammatory, it’s rich in Vitamin E (an anti-aging agent) and it helps balance the absorption of moisture and water loss.
- 220g shea butter
- 110g coconut oil
- 110g almond oil
- Melt the shea butter and coconut oil together in a bowl over boiling water or in the microwave.
- Add the almond oil and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Add the essential oils of your preference. I used Lavender and Stress Away.
- When it starts to solidify (see picture below), whip with a metal whisk until it gets to the desired consistency.
- Distribute into a few small glass jars, rather than one big one (it will keep better). I find smaller jars help you reach better with your fingers.
- Put a bow or ribbon on the jar and give it as a gift! Nothing shows love better than a homemade present.
- Lavender is very good for the skin in general, thanks to its regenerative properties. Other essential oils that are recommended for the skin are: Melrose, Juniper, Geranium and Frankincense.
- If you use unrefined shea butter like I did, it will not retain the smell of the essential oils as the smell of shea butter overpowers it. However you’ll still get all the benefits!
- Here’s an article if you want to read about the essential oils I use, or you can also follow this link.